February 24, 2014
For more information about CWCC contact:
David Pinkernell, President, 360-823-8325
Marilyn Boerke, Grant Committee Chair, 360-798-3077
For more information about Children’s Home Society of Washington (East County Family Resource Center, Washougal) contact:
Mackenzie Dunham, 360-695-1325 ext. 4209
For more information about Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership contact:
Debrah Marriot, 503-226-1565
For more information about Meals on Wheels, Washougal contact:
Wanda Nelson, 360-210-5666
Camas-Washougal Community Chest
Announces 2014 Grant Awards
The Camas-Washougal Community Chest is pleased to announce the award of 16 grants totaling $77,954 to local non-profit organizations delivering services, exclusively, to children and families in Camas and Washougal. The grants will fund such diverse services as emergency food assistance, aid to families in crisis or needing emergency services, safe temporary shelter for at-risk youth, summer swimming scholarships or enhancing the habitat of Gibbons Creek in the Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge. In addition, monies have been reserved for up to $500 mini-grant applications from Camas-Washougal Boy and Cub Scout troops. Since 1946 the Community Chest has been all about local people helping local people.
Some of the non-profit organizations being funded in 2014 include Inter-Faith Treasure House, Children Home Society’s East County Family Resource Center, Janus Youth Program and Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership. For a complete listing of the 2014 grant awards see attached 2014 grant summary.
To reach its 2014 fundraising goal of $78,000, the CWCC needs additional donations from individuals and businesses in Camas and Washougal. More information and donation forms can be found on the CWCC’s website at www.camaswashougalcommunitycchest.org. The CWCC is a registered 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization for federal charitable tax deduction purposes. Says CWCC President David Pinkernell, “the needs in the local community continue to be great and we hope families and businesses can help the Community Chest support local non-profit organizations that are providing much needed community services”.
Community Programs/Projects Funded in 2014
- Inter-Faith Treasure House – Emergency and daily food needs, emergency rent and utility assistance, school supplies, weekly dinner programs, outreach activities.
- Children’s Home Society, East County Family Resource Center – Operating funds to support the Family Center Coordinator staff position. Distribute emergency food, student backpacks and coordinate support services for families in need.
- Friends of Camas Community Center – Camtown Youth Festival arts and crafts supplies.
- Friends of Camas Community Center – Support for a total of 60 swimming lesson sponsorships.
- Camas Children’s Fund – To help Camas school principals provide for basic student needs to give these students equal opportunities at school.
- Camas Sister City – Activities, supplies and materials related to school and city exchanges between Camas/Washougal, Poland, and Japan.
- Janus Youth Programs (2 grants) – Funding for facility beds for CW residents to use Janus facility in Vancouver. Serves CW runaway homeless youths at risk for abuse and neglect. Reintroduces kids to safe housing.
- Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership – Outdoor applied learning program for youth, including habitat enhancement projects adjacent to Gibbons Creek in the Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge.
- Community Pregnancy Clinic of Camas-Washougal – To assist with certifying two nurses to perform obstetric ultrasounds.
- Meals on Wheels – To purchase food and food services supplies for the Camas and Washougal Meals on Wheels program. Will also aid people with special needs.
- Meals on Wheels – To purchase four computers to enable internet access for seniors and for use by Meals on Wheels staff.
- Friends and Foundation of the Camas Library – To support the library’s summer reading program for kids and teens.
- Friends of the Columbia River Gorge – Help fund the Vic Clausen Youth Outdoor education program for sixth graders in Jemtegaard and Canyon Creek Middle schools in Washougal School District.
- Lifeline Connections – Provide gas vouchers or bus passes to enable Camas and Washougal residents to obtain substance abuse treatment services in Vancouver.
- New Day Community Dental Clinic – To enable low-income residents from Camas and Washougal to receive basic dental care.
- REACH Community Development (formerly known as ACE) – REACH and Affordable Community Environments (ACE) are partnering to expand ACE’s resident services program to support families’ and individual success in ACE housing and improve their economic stability.