PRESIDENT'S LETTER

You are the ones who make assistance to the local organizations possible.

September 8, 2019

In 2019, the Camas-Washougal Community Chest gave out a total of $108,500 in grants to 29 agencies, providing over 18,000 individual services for people in Camas and Washougal. That’s an increase of about 50% over our grant totals in 2015 and 2016. This is pretty astonishing, given that not too long ago, a major source of donations – employees of the Camas paper mill – were subject to layoffs and our future looked uncertain.

Thankfully, the rest of the community and remaining mill employees stepped up and gave generously. Because the C-W Community Chest has no paid employees and very low expenses, and we have pledged to give back every dollar donated, we were able to fully fund many longtime grant recipients and help out a few new ones.

Here are some examples of the impact your donations made in the last year:

  • 10,149 meals were prepared and served to older adults at the Meals on Wheels Washougal dining center or delivered to seniors by volunteers in 2018
  • 4,000 individuals were helped by the Children’s Home Society of Washington at the East County Family Resource Center in downtown Washougal
  • 27 foster kids and 62 volunteers enjoyed a 3-day camp this summer at the newly formed Teen Reach Adventure Camp in Camas, providing the kids, their foster families, and volunteers an unforgettable experience
  • 170 students took food home every weekend via the Inter-Faith Treasure House
  • 10 runaway youth from C & W found safe housing thanks to Janus Youth Program
  • Hundreds of Camas and Washougal students learned about environmental stewardship from the Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership

The C-W Community Chest relies on donations from individuals and businesses. In recent years, over 97% of donations have gone directly back into our community (the remaining 3% covers the cost of insurance and brochures).

When you give to the C-W Community Chest, you can be confident that your donations will stay local and support non-profits who make a difference. All donations are tax deductible, as the CWCC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations can be mailed to our PO Box or made online at our website (listed at the top). If you would like to be involved or have any questions, please contact me at info@camaswashougalcommunitychest.org. For more information on our Planned Giving Program, a program designed to strengthen our long-term financial future, click on Planned Giving at www.CamasWashougalCommunityChest.org.

Thank you for your gracious support,

 

 

Joelle M. Scheldorf, President