PRESIDENT'S LETTERYou are the ones who make assistance to the local organizations possible.
September 18, 2020
In March of this year, the C-W Community Chest announced $110,000 in awards to 28 non-profits for programs that would provide over 18,000 individual services to residents of Camas and Washougal. We also announced our plans to partner with the Dinner in White on the Columbia thisfall, with the hopes of raising additional funds so we could distribute even more grants in 2021. And then the COVID-19 pandemic hit.
Many of our grantees had to cancel their programs due to COVID restrictions and we decided to postpone the Dinner in White event. The silver lining is that the non-profits who were unable to use their grant funds returned them and we were able to fund a second round of grants – this time to local non-profits providing essential services like food and shelter to at-risk families. In all, $20,500 was returned and we awarded $30,000 in new grants to local organizations meeting increased needs due to the shutdown.
We would like to thank all of the businesses, individuals, and foundations who have supported us over the years. The Community Chest has an all-volunteer board, zero paid employees, and we keep our expenses low (under 3%) to maximize the impact of your donations in our community. Last year, you helped us provide the following:
- 9,142 meals were prepared and served to seniors at the Meals on Wheels People Washougal dining center or delivered to homebound seniors by volunteers
- 275 Washougal 6th graders visited 3 different sites in the Gorge as part of the outdoor “Explore the Gorge” educational program hosted by the Friends of the Columbia Gorge
- 27 foster kids and 62 volunteers enjoyed summer camp at the Teen Reach Adventure Camp in Camas, providing the kids, foster families, and volunteers an unforgettable experience
- 170 qualified students took food home every weekend via the Inter-Faith Treasure House
- 1,386 children and 439 teens participated in the Summer Reading Program at the Camas Public Library sponsored by the Friends and Foundation of the Camas Library
- Hundreds of Camas and Washougal students learned about environmental stewardship in the Students Outdoor Science Program hosted by the Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership
When you give to the C-W Community Chest, you can be confident that your donations will stay local and support non-profits who make a difference. The CWCC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit so all donations are tax deductible. Donations can be mailed to our PO Box or made online at our website. If you would like to be involved or have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com. For more information on our Planned Giving Program, a program designed to strengthen our long-term financial future, click on Planned Giving at www.CamasWashougalCommunityChest.org.
Thank you for your gracious support,
Joelle Scheldorf & Bolt Minister, Co-Presidents