Camas-Washougal Community Chest Announces 2016 Grant Awards
The Camas-Washougal Community Chest is pleased to announce the award of 19 grants totaling $72,500 to local non-profit organizations delivering services, exclusively, to children and families in Camas and Washougal. The grants will fund such diverse services as emergency food assistance, aid to families in crisis or needing emergency services, safe temporary shelter for at-risk youth, summer swimming scholarships or enhancing the habitat of Gibbons Creek in the Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge. In addition, Campership Awards are being provided to four local Camas-Washougal Boy Scout troops to allow families in need to send their scouts to summer camp. Since 1946 the Community Chest has been all about local people helping local people.
Some of the non-profit organizations being funded in 2016 include Inter-Faith Treasure House, Children Home Society’s East County Family Resource Center, Janus Youth Program and Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership. For a complete listing of the 2016 grant awards see attached 2016 grant summary.
To reach its 2016 fundraising goal of $70,500, the CWCC needs additional donations from individuals and businesses in Camas and Washougal. More
information and donation forms can be found on the CWCC’s website at www.CamasWashougalCommunityChest.org. The CWCC is a registered 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization for federal charitable tax deduction purposes. Says CWCC President David Pinkernell, “the needs in the local community continue to be great and we hope families and businesses can help the Community Chest support local non-profit organizations that are providing much needed community services”.
2016 Grant Program Summary
Total number of grants awarded – 19 grants to 18 organizations
Total value of grants awarded – $72,500
Estimated number of individuals served by grants – more than 15,000
Community Programs/Projects Funded in 2016
- Inter-Faith Treasure House – Provides funding for emergency and daily food needs, school backpack program, emergency rent
and utility assistance, school supplies, weekly dinner programs, outreach activities.
- Children’s Home Society, East County Family Resource Center – Helps fund family educator/case manager position, replaces public access computer and helps with four asset building workshops for those seeking the Center’s support.
- Friends of Camas Community Center – One grant helps fund Camtown Youth Festival’s arts and crafts supplies. A second grant provides funding for 60 swimming lesson sponsorships.
- Camas Children’s Fund – To help Camas school principals provide for basic student needs to give these students equal opportunities at school.
- Washougal Children’s Fund – To help Washougal school principals provide for basic student needs to give these students equal opportunities at school.
- Janus Youth Programs – Funding for facility beds for Camas and Washougal youth to use Janus facility in Vancouver. Serves CW runaway homeless youths at risk for abuse and neglect. Re-introduces kids to safe housing.
- Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership – Outdoor applied learning program for youth, including habitat enhancement projects adjacent to Gibbons Creek in the Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge.
- Meals on Wheels – Purchases food and food service supplies for Camas and Washougal Meals on Wheels program.
- Friends and Foundation of the Camas Library – Supports the library’s summer reading program for kids and teens.
- Friends of the Columbia Gorge – Helps fund the Vic Clausen Youth Outdoor education program for sixth graders in Jemtegaard and Canyon Creek Middle schools in Washougal School District.
- REACH Community Development (formerly known as ACE) – Funds staff, administrative and supply costs to provide classes, workshops and meetings with residents to build self-sufficiency.
- Camas Farmers Market – Helps implement “Produce Pals”, a weekly activities program to educate children about where and how food is produced. Kids completing weekly program receive a $2 token to spend at Camas Farmers Market – funds will buy tokens.
- Camas Sister City – Pays for student bus transportation, admission fees and expenses associated with school and civic receptions. Student exchanges are planned with two Japanese cities and three Polish cities.
- Camas Athletics Booster Club – Helps Liberty Middle School students with scholarships to participate in extracurricular athletic activities.
- New Day Dental – Provides basic oral health services for low-income, homeless, unemployed, seniors or ethnic minorities from Camas and Washougal. Potential patients must be referred by local social service agencies who partner with New Day Dental.
- Opera Quest Northwest – Helps to educate, enrich and instill a love of music in children by introducing them to opera through a lively production that blend classic opera excerpts with a humorous, interactive script.
- Pathways Pregnancy Clinic – Provides curriculum, supplies and educator to conduct workshops to help moms care for their child.
- Boy Scouts of America – Camas/Washougal Troops – Help fund Campership Awards so that families in need can send their scouts to summer camp.